Wednesday 7 June 2017

Interview with Bishesh Huirem


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honor to interview Bishesh Huirem, an Indian model and beauty pageant queen. Hello Bishesh, you look absolutely beautiful!
Bishesh: Hello Monika! Thank you so much for this compliment and opportunity to share my story with the readers of your blog.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Bishesh: I am Bishesh Huirem. I am a transgender woman who follows her dream, yet being simple, frank, and enthusiastic.

Be positive in spite of the fact that we
are born differently and feel proud of
our differences.TG means true gender.

Monika: How did you start your modeling career?
Bishesh: At a very young age, I'm very fond of beauty pageants. And I follow my dream, which results in winning five times in a row. Beauty pageants and modeling go hand in hand. Because of my achievements, I get a chance to walk as a model on the catwalk.
Monika: Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Bishesh: I do not have a particular designer that I follow. I want to taste the works of every fashion designer.
Monika: What kind of outfits do you usually wear when you do not do modeling? Any special fashion designs or colors?
Bishesh: I wear casual outfits, a white T-shirt and short jeans.
Monika: With your talent, beauty, and intelligence, you would be a great actress. Have you ever thought about acting?
Bishesh: Being a trans daughter of an actor, I used to love acting in front of the mirror when I was a child. Ha ha ha!
I first started my acting career at Sumang Leela (a unique indigenous Manipuri Theatre) and now I am a movie actress too.

MIQ means a lot to me. My hardship is not
taken as a sacrifice but learning experience.
I love it.

Monika: In 2016 you participated in the Miss International Queen pageant, organized in Thailand for the most beautiful transgender women in the world. How do you recollect that event? 
Bishesh: It was a lovely experience because I had a chance to know and learn many things within a short period of time at one place (Love Tiffany's Theatre) in Pattaya City, Thailand.
Monika: What was the atmosphere among pageant girls? Was it tough and merciless competition or a friendly meeting of beautiful girls?
Bishesh: You will never believe how much we enjoy ourselves by caring, sharing, and supporting one another. We are still keeping in touch and we have a social media group (MIQ 2016) where we share everyday life till today. It was a great experience for me. I love it!
Monika: At what age did you transition into a woman yourself? Was it a difficult process? 
Bishesh: It was the day when I realized myself I would never hide my gender identity. Yes, it is a tremendously difficult process to keep a balance between my family's expectations and my choice.

If you give respect, you will get respect.

Monika: Are there any Indian transgender ladies that you admire and respect? 
Bishesh: I respect each and every individual's hardship and achievements.
Monika: In general, what is the status of transgender women in Indian society? 
Bishesh: Compared to the general population, transgender people are still lagging behind in Indian society. Even though the Indian government recognized us as the third gender, we still have no welfare program that is implemented to uplift our status. But, let's see!
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Bishesh: None of our parents is happy when their child is born as a son and acts as the opposite sex. If I have to mention the hardest one, it was to convince my family about my gender and sexuality. 
Monika: The transgender cause is usually manifested together with the other LGBTQ communities. Being the last letter in this abbreviation, is the transgender community able to promote its own cause within the LGBTQ group?
Bishesh: The transgender group is a part of the LGBTQ community. We fight for our cause under the same roof. We have a common cause like acceptance, social inclusion, etc.
So, I am being positive regarding the promotion of our own cause within the LGBTQ group.

Fixing myself to be a complete wife of
my love one and a good mother for all.

Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Bishesh: Wow! To me, LOVE gives hope, with that hope I believe it gives me the strength to push my best talents forward.
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Bishesh: To be very frank, I have never thought of writing my memories. But, my heart says I can influence people with my countable number of activities and dedications. 
Monika: Are you working on any new projects now?
Bishesh: Yes, I signed for a movie based on the real story of a transgender woman. Besides, I hunt on many projects for the welfare and promotion of all.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender girls struggling with gender dysphoria?
Bishesh: To all my transgender sisters who are struggling with gender dysphoria, I recommend accepting the fact that "we are born in this way and it is not possible to change." So, better convince your family and seek for the acceptance of the society by your good activities.

MEITEI NUPI (Complete MANIPURI
woman). I have the confidence that I
am a woman, eventually became a woman.

And the final message from me: "We are not judging our physical gender but we are accepting what God has purposed us to live a meaningful life". To make us special!
Monika: My pen friend Gina Grahame wrote to me once that we should not limit our potential because of how we were born or by what we see other transsexuals and transgender people doing. Our dreams should not end on an operating table; that’s where they begin. Do you agree with this?
Bishesh: I appreciate what she said. To me, we need to be flexible to adapt to the soil where we live. But, for some reason, we need to fight against stereotypes until we achieve our dream.
Monika: Bishesh, thank you for the interview!
Bishesh: Thank you, Monika, for this wonderful opportunity!

All the photos: courtesy of Bishesh Huirem.
© 2017 - Monika Kowalska
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog