Sunday 19 April 2015

Interview with Stephanie Postma


Monika: Today’s interview will be with Stephanie Postma, a young Dutch video blogger that documents her transition on YouTube. Hello Stephanie!
Stephanie: Hello Monika!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Stephanie: I am a 22-year-old female and student of beauty and wellness in the last year.
Monika: Why did you decide to share your transition details on YouTube?
Stephanie: I was young and I thought I might be an inspiration for other young transgender ladies. I was only 14 when I uploaded my first YouTube video.
Monika: At which stage of the transition are you right now?
Stephanie: I’m finished! I would really like a boob job in a couple of years but for the time being it is enough. I am happy with myself and that is the most important issue for me.
Monika: Are you satisfied with the results of the hormone therapy?
Stephanie: Uuuhm yes and no, I would like to have bigger breasts; now they are of small B cup and I want so badly to have a C cup. As far as the rest of the body is concerned, it is great... Your mind is going weird but it feels nice... You know you're on the right track for the change.
Monika: Are there any transgender role models that you follow?
Stephanie: In the past yes! But most transgenders that I know are selfish and think that being a woman is a beauty contest and I like living as a woman, not as a transgender woman.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Stephanie: Breakup with my family. My parents don’t understand how I am feeling about it. They used to think that I was gay with a real female side but I’m not gay I am a straight woman. That’s the difference that I saw in myself as a woman whereas other people regarded me as a weird guy.

Taken in Alanya last summer, during her
first holiday with F (female) in her passport.

Monika: What is your general view on the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Stephanie: It is like a really small town with people that do not know a lot about transgenders, and I think it works for me to show people that I am normal and I have a normal life and one can love me.
Monika: What do you think about transgender stories or characters which have been featured in films, newspapers, or books so far?
Stephanie: It’s great to see more transgender people in public TV shows but in my opinion, such ladies should be normal people with normal lives and not a lady with big boobs and a lot of Botox so she looks like a sex doll.
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Stephanie: No, I don’t but I think it's great to have a transgender person to represent not only our community.
Monika: Are you involved in the life of your local LGBT community?
Stephanie: No, I am not, I have tried it but it's not for me.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Stephanie: I like to have a small dress for nights and in the day I love skinny jeans with nice boots and a lovely top with a blazer.
Monika: What do you think about transgender beauty pageants?
Stephanie: I hate them... you are feeling like a woman? Stand there as a woman and not as a drag queen with too many plastic surgeries.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Stephanie: I had a relationship for 2,5 years; the partner saw everything... the beginning of the hormones and the mood swings plus the operation. That is over and I have found a new lover! He is two years older than me and we are living together.

The holidays in Alanya.

Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Stephanie: No, I have not. I take my memories in my head and care for them. They are something special and I love to share them.
Monika: What would you recommend to transgender women that are afraid of early transition, discrimination and hatred?
Stephanie: Love yourself, it is the only way you can be happy with yourself and there are so many people in your life that really love you for what you are. Be yourself that is the only way to love yourself.
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Stephanie: I Hope I can make my wish come true and can live in Spain (Barcelona) and open my beauty salon for permanent make-up and other stuff. The Netherlands is for me too cold and the people are angry.
Monika: Stephanie, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!

All the photos: courtesy of Stephanie Postma.
© 2015 - Monika Kowalska
  

Search This Blog